Top 11 and 12 to Tackle
Now that my last mistakes of 2011 have been made, and my vacay is over, it’s time to write again. Apologies for being MIA.
Lindsay Learns recaps the things I learn day-to-day, but as we’re now moving year-to-year, how about I highlight the top 11 things I learned in 2011?!
Ok. Now let’s be serious. I have the memory of a goldfish.
I’m sure my 2011 lessons were important, but I can’t actively remember enough to make a thoughtful list. So instead, I’ll recap the 11 things I learned while on blog hiatus over the past 2-ish weeks:
- When the bartender fails, reach over the bar and pour your own drinks. (Fact)
- Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is an appropriate substitute for grace at Christmas dinner. (Lesson taught by my 2.5 year old niece.)
- Boxing is not for the faint of heart. Nor is Hip Hop.
- I received a Christmas miracle in the form of a coat. (Hmm, this may need to be separate post, stay tuned.)
- Apples to Apples is most fun when you are politically outnumbered.
- Good friends usually offer good advice – even if it takes you months to finally listen.
- If you have a gluten allergy, don’t test it…
- I can swim one mile, non-stop. (I suppose I knew this, but it was harder than I thought.)
- I can run 6 miles, non-stop. (Did NOT know this, and it was easier than I thought.)
- I hope I can cycle 25 miles non-stop, and then put it together with #8 and #9, because I’m signing up for a triathlon. (Whaaaaat?)
- I need a bike.
In 2012, I’ll do a better job of tracking my lessons (via LindsayLearns.com, of course), so expect a more thorough year-in-review learnings list in roughly 365 days, assuming the world doesn’t end. To kick these lessons off, please find below 12 things to tackle (not necessarily resolutions) in 2012:
- Per #8 – #11 above: complete a triathlon (I’ll chronicle this initiative in the “Lindsay TRIes” category)
- And because it’s a triathlon, I think it’s only fair that it occupies three of these goals…
- (See #2)
- Stop relying on the Whole Foods prepared section and put my new gluten-free cookbooks to work. If my cooking is anything like my baking, expect some entertaining blog posts in the near future, chronicled under the “Lindsay cooks” category.
- Waste two more hours of my life on part two. Do not waste 10 hours of my life watching the marathons on FX…again.
- Per #6 on the 2011 list: don’t cheat myself and embrace change – could pay off better than expected.
- Increase the ROI and wear my glasses. (Largely in an effort to fish for more Eva Mendes references.)
- Finish the Harry Potter book series (a 2010 Christmas gift) some time before Christmas 2012.
- Take advantage of my height and make some magic happen for my clients and my teams.
- Be more attentive to my phone and promptly reply to voicemails. (Sorry, family.) Also, be more accepting of my generation’s communication preferences by embracing text messages. (And by text messages I mean iMessages – not paying for something I hate.)
- Use fewer parentheses because I realize it’s getting obnoxious. (Sorry for being easily distracted.) (And sorry I’m long-winded.) (Also, sorry that I have comments on my comments.)
- And of course, follow through.
On a separate note… A Christmas Story on TV is great; but A Christmas Story on a boat, even better. Enjoy: